12:00 Principal Theater
The Devil and Daniel Johnston
Jeff Feuerzeig / United States (2005 / 105’ / VOSE)
Daniel Johnston: Genius and madness. The inner world versus the rest of the world. A masterful portrait, a total confrontation with one of the outstanding minds of the last decades. Admired by figures such as Kurt Cobain, this film reveals its most private facet.
- Director: Jeff Feuerzeig
- Year: 2005
- Country: United States
- Length: 105 min.
- Original language: English
- Leadings: Daniel Johnston, Bill Johnston, Mabel Johnston, Jeff Tartakov, Louis Black, Kathy McCarty, Gibby Haines, Jad Fair, David Fair, Matt Groening
- Camera: Fortunato Procopio
- Editor: Tyler Hubby
- Producers: Henry S. Rosenthal
- Film company: Complex Corporation & This is That
Jeff Feuerzeig is an award-winning documentary filmmaker who made his film debut with "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" which won top awards at the Sundance Film Festival. The film that made him famous is a portrait of a schizophrenic musician and artist who is the victim of his own demons. Feuerzeig followed the documentary techniques of Albert Maysles, as well as the doctrine of the New Journalism of the 1970s (use of the first person, interior monologues, personal diaries, home movies, etc.).